2014 Course Overview – NEW! The Mammoth Half Marathon route carries runners over a breathtaking, scenic course through California’s picturesque High Sierra mountains and the Inyo National Forest. The route starts nearly 9,000 ft above sea level at Horseshoe Lake and finishes in downtown Mammoth Lakes (~7,800 ft). New in 2014, we made some improvements by adding a scenic loop around Lake Mary, making our world-class course even better!
Mammoth Half Marathon Course Map - Click to enlarge:
Mammoth Half Marathon Course Turn-by-Turn – Click to enlarge:
Mammoth Half Marathon Course Elevation Map - Click to enlarge: Course Highlights
- Scenic 13.1-mile course
- Start Line: at Horseshoe Lake (See final instructions for shuttle schedule – to be released in mid-June)
- Finish Line: Old Mammoth Road in Downtown Mammoth Lakes, complete with a Celebrate Mammoth Lakes Block Party
- Hundreds of volunteers to support your race
- Aid stations approximately every 2 miles, to include water, electrolyte drink (and/or energy gels)
- Physicians, nurses and additional roving medical & safety personnel
- The Half Marathon course is USATF Sanctioned and Certified. The course was measured by an IAAF/AIMS Level A measurer. Certification code: CA14076RS
- 4-hour half marathon course time limit (18 min/mile pace)
Wave Starts To ensure a great experience for every runner, we will be utilizing a wave start. This means that runners will be grouped according to their individually predicted finish time. Each wave starts separately, one after the other, with short intervals in between. Wave starts allow for plenty of space along the course, without affecting your ‘chip’ time (or, the elapsed time to go from start line to finish line). When you register for the Mammoth Half Marathon, please be prepared to estimate your expected finish time so you can start in the correct wave. New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right hand side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Aid Station & Medical Support Keep hydrated and refreshed! Fully staffed and equipped water and support stations will be positioned along the course with plenty of water and portable restrooms. Fresh water will be served at miles 1.0, 2.0, 4.1, 6.1, 7.9, 10.0, and 11.7. Ultima Replenisher (grape flavor) will be served at Miles: 4.1, 6.1 & 10 and will precede the serving of water – so look for the purple color to tell the difference. A variety of flavors of Energy Gels will be available at Mile 7.9. Portable restrooms & Medical tables/tents will be set up Miles: 2.0, 5.6, 7.9, & 10.0.
Safety Note: Unauthorized bicycles, motorized vehicles, wheelchairs and strollers not permitted on the half marathon race course due to safety concerns.